Playground equipment plays a significant role in our communities, providing spaces for children to explore, learn, and create memories.
As the need arises to update or redesign these spaces, many wonder, “Can I reuse playground equipment in my new playground or project update?”.
This article answers this question, offering insights to guide your decisions for the community’s benefit.
Working with Your Existing Playground Equipment
Reusing playground equipment is not just about saving costs or being environmentally conscious; it’s about preserving memories and ensuring continuity.
The main reasons to reuse your playground equipment could be:
- They are still in a good state of preservation. It is a great way to keep your project costs down if you have considerably new equipment that can be recycled.
- Only minor upgrades are needed. For example, if the base or some chains are broken, these fixes can be done without much effort.
- Legacy. Maybe you have a great piece of equipment that has a symbolic value to the local community. In that case, using the old equipment is a great way to pay respect to the memories built there. Even if it cannot be recycled, it can become a sculpture and add to the value of your space.
At Creo, we don’t just look at the physical state of your equipment. We assess its quality, relevance, and how it fits into the new design.
We aim to ensure that if a piece of equipment has a place in your new space, it’s integrated seamlessly and effectively.
Safety is essential when it comes to playground equipment. New Zealand standards, like any other, change over time. If your playground equipment has been around for a while, it might not align with the latest safety guidelines.
You will need careful evaluation of your equipment against current standards. Sometimes, this might mean making significant modifications or, in rare cases, deciding that it’s best not to reuse a particular piece due to compliance issues.
Play Value: More Than Just Fun
When we talk about the play value of playground equipment, we’re referring to its range of features and the benefits it provides to children.
It’s not just about fun; it’s about development, learning, and growth. If you’re considering reusing equipment, it must be packed with features that add the most value.
Inclusivity also is a crucial aspect of modern playgrounds. Ensuring that children of all abilities can engage, socialise, and feel integrated into the space enhances play value and fosters community spirit.
Getting New Equipment: A Fresh Start
While there’s a charm in preserving the old, sometimes the best way forward is to start anew. If a piece of playground equipment has stood the test of time, it might be worth keeping it as a legacy piece—a nod to the past and a story for future generations.
However, new equipment comes with its set of advantages. It guarantees compliance with the latest standards, offers enhanced play value, and ensures inclusivity.
Plus, with local manufacturers like Creo, you can have the equipment tailored to your specific needs and vision.
Read more: How to budget for your playground equipment
The Pros and Cons of Reusing Playground Equipment
- Cost-Effective: Reusing equipment can lead to significant savings.
- Sustainability: It’s an eco-friendly choice, reducing waste and the need for new materials.
- Preservation: Keeping older equipment can maintain a sense of history and continuity in a community space.
- Safety Concerns: Older equipment might not meet current NZ standards.
- Limited Play Value: As play trends evolve, older equipment might not offer the same engagement levels as newer designs.
- Maintenance: Older equipment might require more frequent repairs or modifications.
Ultimately, upgrading your playground is a delicate balance of managing the budget while delivering a space where children play and have fun.
While considering old equipment showcases a sustainable approach, it’s vital to remain open to new equipment’s possibilities and the enhancements it can bring to your space.
If you can have an environment where memories are forged and everyone feels included, you’ve achieved the ultimate goal.
Read our portfolio below if you want to know more and get inspired. Or if you are ready to decide, call us on 0800 000 334 or book a site visit.